John Schroeder is Of Counsel to the firm and concentrates his practice in the areas of construction, personal injury, inverse condemnation, real property, product liability, business, insurance coverage/bad faith, and will contests. Mr. Schroeder is a highly accomplished trial attorney with over 30 years of high profile trial experience.
In the area of construction, Mr. Schroeder has represented plaintiffs, general contractors, specialty contractors and engineers. Mr. Schroeder has experience in restoration construction, new construction and in public works construction. He has recently handled some of Southern California's largest inverse condemnation/landslide cases. He also has years of experience with credit unions and other financial institutions handling a wide array of matters.
- $900,000 Insurance Bad Faith Verdict, Liberty Transport v. Certain Underwriter.
- Represented a patient who had both eyes stabbed with a 20 gauge needle. Large confidential settlement.
- Represented over 30 homeowners in a landslide case against City of Oceanside. Total settlement over $6,000,000.
- Head counsel in reverse condemnation case against City of Carlsbad. Total settlement over $12,000,000.
- Co-counsel for Estate of Rock Hudson in first major AIDS case.
- Recently won two cases before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal.
- Recently had client awarded $25,000 in sanctions on appeal.
- Assisted in writing AB 2998 and amendments to Business & Professionals Code regarding exceptions to Home Solicitations Act for contractors.
Areas of Practice
- Business Litigation
- Business Transactions
- Commercial Trucking and Crane & Rigging
- Employment Law
- Personal Injury
- Products Liability
- Public School Construction
- Real Estate
- California, 1981
- New York, 1981
- District of Columbia, 1997
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1987
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1985
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 1990
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 1987
- Supreme Court of the United States of America, 1986
- University of San Diego School of Law, San Diego, California
- J.D. - 1980
- California State Polytechnic University Pomona
- Bachelor of Arts cum laude - 1977
- Sean Penn
- Estate of Rock Hudson
- Robert Loggia
- Essex Insurance
- Penn America Insurance
- State Farm
- US Risk
- Century National
- Deans & Homer
- Emercon Construction
- Clark Porche Construction Co.
- Engineering Science
- Parsons Construction Co.
- T. McGee Electric
- Wilson Electric
- Insurance Contractors of America
- Speaker, Beverly Hills Bar Association
- Speaker, San Gabriel Bar Association
- Speaker, Kemper Insurance Co.
- Speaker, State Farm
- Speaker, Century National
- Speaker, California Credit Union League
- Speaker, Home Savings of America
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Orange County Bar Association, Member
- Defense Research Institue Southern California Defense Counsel
- Celtic Bar Association, Member
- Consumer Attorneys of Los Angeles, Member
- American Bar Association, Litigation Committee
- California Bar Association, Member
- California State Bar, Member
- New York State Bar, Member
- Washington D.C. Bar, Member
- Southern California Defense Counsel, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- CHP 11-99 Foundation, Immediate Past President and Chairman of the Board
- Insurance Contractor of America, Past General Counsel
- Los Angeles and Orange County Superior Court Settlement Officer
- Orange County Bar Association Fee Arbitrator
- Rotary Club of Yorba Linda
- Youth Basketball and Baseball Couch