Laura C. Hess, Partner
Lead counsel in employment litigation matters including wrongful termination, disability discrimination, sexual harassment, whistleblower, trade secrets/unfair competition, age discrimination, hostile work environment, retaliation, wage and hour, arbitrations, Labor Commissioner hearings, and investigations. Advise employers regarding compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Negotiation of dispute resolution, employment contracts, and severance agreements.Read More
Lead counsel in a wide variety of business litigation matters involving shareholder and LLC member disputes, trade secret misappropriation, breach of contract, collection of accounts receivable, supply chain disputes, commercial leases, product failures, warranty claims, product recalls, unfair competition, defense of consumer claims, quality control issues, advertising injuries, business sale disputes, and fraud.Hide Bio
- Juris Doctor, Northwestern School of Law of Lewis & Clark College
- Bachelor of Arts, Pepperdine University
- Magna cum laude
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- California, 1998
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- Lead counsel representing one of the world’s most recognized brands in a case against its North American distributor. Case involved a collection action by client for $1.3 mm, and cross-claims by distributor for approximately $8 mm for alleged product defects.
- Represented tankless hot water heater manufacturer in voluntary product recall, in conjunction with Consumer Products Safety Commission.
- Lead trial counsel representing a purchaser of a restaurant in a fraud claim against the seller. Jury verdict in our client’s favor to rescind the contract, including an award of punitive damages in an amount greater than we requested.
- Lead counsel representing manufacturer/supplier in multi-million dollar claim by large grocery store chain that supplier breached a contract to supply all product required for its stores. After successfully defeating store’s motion for a mandatory injunction, settled case for no monetary payment by client to store.
- On trial team that obtained complete defense verdict in favor of client beverage manufacturer from multi-million dollar claims of fraud and product defects by commercial customer.
- Lead trial counsel on many employment litigation matters that have resulted in highly favorable settlements for our clients (settlement terms confidential per terms of settlement agreements)
Classes / Seminars Taught
- “So You Received a Sexual Harassment Complaint, What Not to Do, A Trial Lawyer’s Perspective,” presented to members of PIHRA at the California HR Conference, August 27, 2014
- “Privacy in the Workplace,” presented to members of Employer Advisory Counsel of Orange County, June 26 2014
- “Manufacturer’s Duty to Warn” CLE, presented to Orange County Bar Association Products Liability Section (2009)
- “Pre and Post Sale Duty to Warn: A Primer on a Manufacturer’s Duty to Design Effective Warnings,” presented to the Orange County Bar Association Products Liability Section, November 20, 2009
- “Legal Issues for Small Businesses,” presented to SCORE Counselors to Small Businesses, Orange County Chapter, November 10, 2009
- “When Can a Plaintiff Recover Future Replacement Cost Damages in a Breach of Warranty Case?” – Orange County Lawyer Magazine (2009)
- “The Biggest Mistakes Made By Trial Lawyers – Are You Making Them?” – Orange County Lawyer Magazine (2003)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Affiliate Governor – California Women Lawyers (2015)
- Immediate Past President, Orange County Women Lawyers Association
- Member, Orange County Bar Association, Business Litigation Section
- Member, Orange County Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section
- Member, Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Past Director, Orangewood PALS