Laura C. Hess, Partner
Laura Hess is a partner with the law firm of Kring & Chung, LLP in Irvine, California. Hess specializes in representing businesses in litigation matters. Hess is an expert at defending companies against complaints about their products and services. The types of cases she handles include breach of contract, breach of warranty, products liability, fraud, unfair business practices, and advertising injuries. Hess has expertise in resolving disputes with suppliers, vendors, customers, and distributors. Hess also helps companies collect on accounts receivable.Read More
In the area of employment law, Hess defends management against employees’ claims for wrongful termination, retaliation, disability discrimination, failure to accommodate, sexual harassment, hostile work environment, whistleblower, age discrimination, gender discrimination, sexual orientation discrimination, misclassification, and unpaid wages.
Hess also handles intellectual property claims involving misappropriation of trade secrets, non-disclosure agreements, and advertising injuries. Avvo, an online service which rates and profiles attorneys, ranks Hess’s legal services as “superb.”Hide Bio
- Juris Doctor, Northwestern School of Law of Lewis & Clark College
- Bachelor of Arts, Pepperdine University
- Magna cum laude
- California, 1998
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- Lead counsel representing one of the world’s most recognized brands in a case against its North American distributor. Case involved a collection action by client for $1.3 mm, and cross-claims by distributor for approximately $8 mm for alleged product defects. Case settled with a six figure settlement payment in favor of our client.
- Represented tankless hot water heater manufacturer in voluntary product recall, in conjunction with Consumer Products Safety Commission.
- Lead trial counsel representing a purchaser of a Chinese restaurant in a fraud claim against the seller. Jury verdict in our client’s favor to rescind the contract, including an award of punitive damages in an amount greater than we requested.
- Lead counsel representing manufacturer/supplier in multi-million dollar claim by large grocery store chain that supplier breached a contract to supply all product required for its stores. After successfully defeating store’s motion for a mandatory injunction, settled case for no monetary payment by client to store.
- On trial team that obtained complete defense verdict in favor of client beverage manufacturer from multi-million dollar claims of fraud and product defects by commercial customer.
Classes / Seminars Taught
- “Privacy in the Workplace,” presented to members of Employer Advisory Counsel of Orange County, June 26 2014
- “Manufacturer’s Duty to Warn” CLE, presented to Orange County Bar Association Products Liability Section (2009)
- “Pre and Post Sale Duty to Warn: A Primer on a Manufacturer’s Duty to Design Effective Warnings,” presented to the Orange County Bar Association Products Liability Section, November 20, 2009
- “Legal Issues for Small Businesses,” presented to SCORE Counselors to Small Businesses, Orange County Chapter, November 10, 2009
- “When Can a Plaintiff Recover Future Replacement Cost Damages in a Breach of Warranty Case?” – Orange County Lawyer Magazine (2009)
- “The Biggest Mistakes Made By Trial Lawyers – Are You Making Them?” – Orange County Lawyer Magazine (2003)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- President of the Executive Board of Directors, Orange County Women Lawyers Association
- Member, Orange County Bar Association, Business Litigation Section
- Member, Orange County Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section
- Member, Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Past Director, Orangewood PALS
Pro Bono Activities
- Orangewood Children’s Home
- Orange County Food Bank