- Founding Partner
Kyle D. Kring is a founding partner of Kring & Chung, LLP. He is a veteran of a number of lengthy jury trials in both State and Federal Court. He has experience in all aspects of litigation, with specialties in construction defect litigation, public and private construction law, public works contracting, employment law, products liability, insurance coverage disputes and real estate litigation matters.
For over 30 years, Mr. Kring has represented California contractors, engineers, owners, and materials suppliers in construction litigation matters including construction defect litigation, payment disputes, mechanics' liens, stop notices and construction bonds, Public Works construction disputes, drafting and review of construction contracts, public school construction, landslide, mold litigation, OSHA compliance, soils movement an slope failure and insurance issues. Mr. Kring has represented a number of California's public school districts in litigation regarding construction defects, false claims and performance contracting guarantees, recovering millions for California public schools. As a result he has been retained by school districts in Idaho, Oklahoma, and Washington for his expertise on performance contracting.
To assist his California construction clients, who he has represented for 20 years and the firm's corporate clients, Mr. Kring developed expertise in employment law. As a result, he currently counsels a variety of companies in employment matters including, but not limited to, wage and hour issues, piece rate compensation, discrimination and harassment, employment agreements, exempt and non-exempt classification, employee handbooks, reductions in force, trade secrets, pregnancy disability, drug testing, independent contractor analysis and classification, and severance agreements. He also represents executives and individuals in sexual harassment, discrimination and wage and hour matters.
Mr. Kring was previously lead counsel in Southern California for Ryder Truck Rental, Inc. He also represented U-Haul for over ten years, and has, throughout the years, represented Hertz, Allied Systems, Hadley Auto Transport, McNeilis Truck and Manufacturing Company, among others. In this capacity he has litigated commercial trucking cases involving claims of negligence, negligent hiring, products liability, negligent supervision and complex insurance coverage issues. The commercial trucking cases over the past 30 years have varied greatly. He has represented trucking companies in cases involving issues such as wheel off, multiple vehicle chain reaction, driver fatigue, driver assaults and sexual assaults, driver qualification, fraudulent/staged accidents, negligent design and maintenance of roads and highways, and negligence in the loading and unloading of trucks and related coverage disputes.
Mr. Kring has recently lectured to numerous employers and Human Resource managers on a wide variety of issues affecting employers including wage and hour compliance, piece rate compensation, reasonable accommodation of disability under the ADA, sexual harassment training compliance, classification of employees as exempt/non-exempt, and preventing wrongful termination. He has also addressed insurance companies, contractors and engineers regarding current issues in construction defect litigation, risk management and protecting delay claims.
Mr. Kring was born in Long Beach, California, and graduated from the University of California, Irvine, in 1982. He clerked for the Honorable William Sheffield, Orange County Superior Court Judge in 1983 and for the Los Angeles Law firm of Briedenbach, Swainston, Yokatis & Crispo in 1984. From Spring 1985 to December 1987, Mr. Kring practiced law with Booth, Mitchel, Strange & Smith.
Mr. Kring is a member of the Southern California Defense Counsel, Orange County Bar Association, Building Industry Association, Southern California Contractors Association, Society for Human Resource Management, Employment Management Association, California Chamber of Commerce, Southern California Fraud Association and graduate of the National Institute for Trial Advocacy Master Advocates Program in Trial Advocacy.
Mr. Kring is also actively involved with numerous charities including Human Options, Olive Crest and Seneca Orange County.
Areas Of Practice
- Business Litigation
- Commercial Trucking and Crane & Rigging
- Employment Law
- Products Liability
- Public School Construction
- Real Estate
- California, 1986
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1986
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, California
- Juris Doctor
- University of California, Irvine, California
- B.S. - 1982
- Major: Political Science
- “So You Received a Sexual Harassment Complaint, What Not to Do, A Trial Lawyer’s Perspective,” presented to members of PIHRA at the California HR Conference, August 27, 2014
- “Privacy in the Workplace,” presented to members of Employer Advisory Counsel of Orange County, June 26 2014
- “Proposition 39 Funding and Energy Savings Performance Contracting – A Roadmap to Entering, and Pitfalls to Avoid,” presented at the Small School Districts’ Association Annual Conference, April 2014
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy Master Advocates Program in Trial Advocacy
- NBIS – Commercial Trucking and Crane and Rigging Seminar
- “Legal Issues Presented by Technology and Social Media in Schools,” presented at the American Association of School Personnel Administrators Annual Conference, October 2011
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers List, 2016-Present
- Lexis Nexis / Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent, 1998-Present
- Coast Magazine Top Attorney, 2015
- Orange County Register Metro Top Attorney, 2013 and 2014
- Super Lawyers, 2011-2013, 2018-2021
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Southern California Defense Counsel, Member
- Orange County Bar Association, Member
- Building Industry Association, Member
- Southern California Contractors Association, Member
- Society for Human Resource Management, Member
- Employment Management Association, Member
- California Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Southern California Fraud Association, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Hon. William Sheffield, Orange County Superior Court Judge, Clerk, 1983 to 1983
- Briedenbach, Swainston, Yokatis & Crispo, 1984 to 1984
- Booth, Mitchel, Strange & Smith, 1985 to 1987
- Southern California for Ryder Truck Rental, Inc., Lead Counsel
Pro Bono Activities
- Human Options
- Olive Crest
- Orangewood Children's Home
- Seneca Orange County
2011 – 2013, 2018 – 2021